Saturday 28 January 2012

Part 3 Project 6 - Stage 4 Raised and structured surface textures

Project 6 - Raised and structured surface textures

These different types of examples below show the variety of ways you can experiment with images and designs and how different fabrics are better for some designs than others.Gathered wool is very different to gathered calico. Quilting really makes the pattern stand out on the material.


Cut-back applique

Layering

Bubble Fabric

Moulding
Sample: 

Quilting



Tucking


Folding and Pleating




Gathering knitted wool (also raised shapes)
Gathering Calico



FINAL SAMPLE


My final sample is taken from my garden, I love Hollyhocks and thought it would be a challenge to bring the
boldness of the flower to life.







I used various types of materials for this sample, the stem was cotton which was wrapped around wadding to give it thickness and twisted every two inches. I then knitted different wools which were double knitting and three ply. I was really please  how the three ply came out (very delicate) I also experimented with number of stitches I casted on. I found that the green/yellow only had 120 stitches on the needle and it wasn't as gathered as the two yellow flowers which had 250 stitches.


2nd sample

I know we only had to do one but I really fancied a go at a design from assignment two, see below I used different materials- these included twisted wool, gathered ribbons, cord wrapped with red violes then stitched into the material. I am pleased with the outcome even though it came out different to how I expected.








No comments:

Post a Comment