Stage 1 Reviewing your work so far
|Some of my work!|
Stage 2 Focusing on your theme book
I've been looking through my herb books:
- Jekka's Complete Herb book in association with the Royal Horticultural society by Jekka McVicar.
- The book of Herbs by Edmond Bordeaux Szekely.
In my mind I wanted to create a piece that was really different. I had seen these herb boxes at a friends house, I thought if I could make some sort of boxes, fill with dried herbs then add different designs on top it would be a bit different, so out came the pencils, gouache paints, paint brushes, sponge blocks and tooth brush to see what I would come up with.
Stage 3 Developing your designI did a bit of studying first on the following books:
- Connecting Art to stitch by Sandra Meech
- Stitch Magic Ideas and Interpretation by Jan Beaney & Jean Little John
- Beginners Guide to Machine Embroidery by Pam Watts
- Creating Sketchbooks for Embroiderers & Textile Artist by Kate Greenlees
|Chives worked in soft pastels|
|Chives worked in soft pastels|
|Experiments for making the boxes(which materials worked!)|
|Idea of how I wanted the box to look!|
|Net version of box|
Stage 4 Making your textile piece
The boxes have came together well, even though my hands are sore knitting with string, it is a very tough material to work with but holds really well. Not sure yet how I am going to join them up!
|Making muslin herb bag (Lavender)|
The first box (Marjoram) was weaved, I used different types of wool (chunky, double knit & coloured string).
The second box (Chamomile) was weaved with similar wools to the Marjoram but on top of it I stitched a large french knot and chain stitched.
The third box (Sage) I did Hardanger for the holes in the centre, then fabric painted the muslin that went through the holes. I then quilted round the edge and added french knots.To finish off I knitted with coloured string the pink/mauve butterfly and added french knots to it also.
The sixth box (chives) was done by hardanger for the holes then cotton weaved material weaved through the holes then finished off with french knots to represent the chive flowers.
|The hanger (not yet joined)|
then found the top still wanted to flop, so I the unattached the extra and re-designed (see below!).
|Final project completed|
- Can you see a continuous thread of development from your original drawing? And samples to the final design?
worked well also the different techniques, the knitted boxes came out as
- Do you feel you made the right decision at each stage of the design process? If not, what changes would you make?
joining together of the boxes. It wasn't firm enough at the top to hang correctly.
I had to make adjustments to correct this point.
- Were you able to interpret your ideas well within the techniques and materials you chose to work with?
effect on Lavender and Thyme came out much better than I imagined also
the lace effect on Lavender.
- How successful is your final design in terms of being inventive within the medium and coherent as a whole?
do, you really end up with sore hands! but I do think it was worth it. I am really
pleased how it has turned out and the smell of herbs is wonderful.
Reflective CommentaryThis course has been a huge learning curve for me, it has given me great confidence in drawing which I was really worried about. It has made me be very strict with my self discipline,I've been able to keep up with deadlines. One of my questions was " Will I be good enough?" this I'm working on, I think there is room for improvement!. I think "getting there" might be more in line.
The final project I've really enjoyed doing even though the string did frustrate me sometimes I kept losing loops. I've loved how each separate box has turned out. I think I'm changing my mind on weaving, because I've enjoyed including it on the project. Trying the wax experiment was great fun, it was brilliant how it kept the dye from staining.
I also enjoyed the water soluble fabric, it was amazing how it held and the rest just fell away in the water. I will definitely try that again.
I've really enjoyed the past year, it's certainly gone very quick and it's been a very interesting and learning year!.
Sketch Book Work
Amended final project.
After my tutors report came back I was advised to think about amending my final project. I did have
a think about what I had done and with alot of unpicking I re-designed the final project in various area.